Everyone is looking for the perfect name for a business. Do you know what makes a perfect domain name?
It seems pretty simple. All you need to do is come up with a catchy name for your business, throw a .com at the end of it, and behold, you have a perfect domain name for your up-and-coming reseller web hosting business! If only it were that easy…
A domain name should be simple. Think of all of the websites that you visit frequently: Google.com, php.net, facebook.com. All of these sites are very basic and easy to remember. This of course is ideal, but it can be difficult to be able to land the exact domain that you are after.
People get into the web hosting reseller industry for various reasons. Web developers, for example, may want to offer web hosting services to their clients. This gives the developer the opportunity to market and sell all of the web services that a client will need (design, development, hosting).
Other resellers want to start their own small web hosting company to take advantage of the growing industry. Web hosting is a fast-paced field that increases as more and more websites are created every single day. Although the growth is predictable, that’s not to say that you don’t need to know how to market your business to have success.
No matter what the reason is for choosing to be a reseller, your new (or old but looking to be improved) business needs that perfect name. If you already have a perfect name for your business, go for it! Follow these simple steps and work on obtaining a perfect domain. If you are yet to come up with an original name for your reseller business, it may be a good idea to consider what your domain will be at the same time that you name your business.
There are many factors that contribute to the perfect domain name. We’ve come up with a few tips and tricks to come up with a domain that is easy for your customers to recognize, will work well from an SEO viewpoint, and will be convenient for you and your clients.
Here are seven tips to keep in mind when coming up with a domain name:
- Keep it simple. As mentioned before, you want to keep your domain name (and business’s name for that matter) as simple and short as possible. In today’s expanding world of business, that may not be as easy as it sounds. The key is to find that balance between having a creative name that sticks out to customers, but isn’t too difficult to remember. Avoid having too many words in your domain. One word is ideal, two is great, three is manageable, and anything more could be detrimental.
- How about a hyphen? Many people debate whether or not a hyphen is advantageous. From one point of view, it may give you a close alternative to the domain you want even though a competitor already has the actual domain you are after. The problem of having a hyphen in your domain is that it can disrupt SEO results and can also confuse a potential client. He or she may end up at your competitor’s site rather than your own. There are occasions when a hyphen may be your only choice, but avoid using them if at all possible.
- Alternate versions. If the domain name you want is unavailable, you may need to settle for something similar, such as adding the word “the” or making your name plural. However, if you’re going to tweak your domain just a bit, such as making it “theexamplewebdesign.com” rather than “examplewebdesign.com,” make sure to market your business as The Example Web Design. Otherwise, your clients may get confused and go to the wrong site. Again, do everything possible to keep your domain name and business name identical.
- Avoid words that are hard to spell. Try not to include words that may be hard for clients to spell. Consider looking at this list of the 100 most misspelled words in the English language. If one of these words is in your anticipated domain name, it is worth reconsidering.
- Be descriptive. Although some of the largest technology companies in the world don’t have descriptive names, e.g. Samsung and Apple, your aspiring business does not have the same background as these technological giants. If you’re in web design, make it apparent. If you’re starting a web hosting reseller business, let it be known. There’s no mistaking that Resell.biz specializes in reselling web hosting and domains. Give your business the advantage by telling potential clients exactly what it is you have to offer.
- TLD. Choosing a TLD, or Top-Level Domain, can be tricky but very beneficial if done right. (Click here for a detailed description of TLDs.) A few years ago, it was a no-brainer to try and snag a .com TLD for any business. Now, hundreds of new and unique TLDs are being released to account for the growth of online business. If the .com domain that you’re looking for is already taken, consider exploring new options. The newly released TLDs are becoming more and more popular and may provide your business with the distinction that you’re looking for. Some sensible options for resellers are .graphics, .business, and .services. Click here to find the most up-to-date list of gTLDs that ICANN has released.
- Don’t hesitate. If you have an idea for a domain name, don’t wait around to purchase it. Domain names go quick and you never want to miss out by only a couple of months while you’re finalizing your business plans. Purchase the domain first, then take care of other details. If you have a couple of ideas for domain names, it’s worth buying both.
It can be difficult (and unrealistic at times) to be able to follow all of these guidelines. However, do everything you can to come up with a simple domain name that describes your business well.
If you’re not in the web hosting industry, consider applying these same tips to find a perfect domain name for whatever industry you’re in.
Reselling web hosting and domains is an exciting opportunity that can open doors to clients all over the world. When done correctly, reselling web hosting – whether as a package with other services or just the web hosting alone – can be a very profitable business. Keep checking the Resell.biz blog for more upcoming tips on starting your own business.
Also, send us a tweet @resellbiz with your own ideas on what makes a great domain name!
This article was brought to you by Resell.biz, for affordable reseller hosting visit our site here www.resell.biz